We designed Chewtensils for Stage 1 of baby-led weaning – introducing babies to the concept of holding a utensil and feeding themselves. Made from soft, textured, food-grade silicone that’s easy to grip and gentle on tender gums, with bendable heads for safety. The back of the spoon head has sensory bumps to stimulate gums. They’re perfect for dipping into puréed foods at the early part of baby led weaning. Chewtensils can be chewed on by younger babies before they’re ready to transition to silverware. They’re safe to use – made from 100% food-safe silicone.
Chewtensils are intended for babies before they have a firm grasp on self-feeding (best for dipping and scooping, not yet spearing solid foods).
- Durable & long lasting
- Easy to care for
- Bacteria, stain & odour resistant
- Transitional utensils for use before standard cutlery
- Soft, textured silicone is gentle on gums
- Round, textured handles are easy for little hands to grasp
- Ventilated choke barrier for extra safety
- Encourages self-feeding
- BPA-free, BPS-free, PVC-free, phthalate-free, cadmium-free and lead-free
- CPSIA compliant
- Dishwasher-safe (top rack)
- Measuring approximately 3” long x 1.25” wide
- For ages 6 months and up
Do not leave child unattended with Chewtensils. Discard if damaged or torn.
Perfectly Sized for Little Hands
How well could you eat a meal with a spoon if it was several times longer than the width of your hand? Standard baby spoons, while smaller than adult utensils, are still very long compared to a baby’s hand and arm.
Chewtensils are sized to fit into a baby’s small hand. This smaller size is more comfortable for babies to grab and gives them more control, helping them develop fine-motor skills.
Round Handle for Learning
Babies are constantly learning about their surroundings. As they learn about self-feeding, how would they know which end of a utensil to hold?
Chewtensils have rounded, textured handles that are easy to grasp and hold on tight. The added weight of the solid silicone handles also helps to steady babies’ hands as they learn to dip and scoop purees and soft foods.
Textured to Soothe
Babies spend a good deal of time teething and seeking out things they can chew on. We know your little one will probably gnaw on our Chewtensils, so we made them from soft, food-safe silicone and added a bit of texture to help give them a bit of relief as they deal with the discomfort of teething*. Let them dip the Chewtensils into a cool puree and enjoy the relief!
*Chewtensils are not a teether and should only be used under direct adult supervision.
Platinum Cured Silicone
Silicone is extremely durable, easy to care for, and safe to use. During creation, silicone can be "cured" with two types of curing agents. We use the best one - platinum. When cured with platinum, there are no by-products created, and the silicone's already fabulous qualities are amplified.
Stain, Odor, and Bacteria Resistant
As parents, we worry about enough. Silicone's properties are naturally bacteria, mold, and fungus resistant. Our silicone utensil sets all feature a smooth finish, so there's nowhere for food to get trapped.
Silicone is extremely durable, which means it's dishwasher safe. Unlike other plastic baby utensils, silicone does not leach any harsh chemicals during high-heat washing. Wash your Bumkins dishware however you see fit, but rest assured, the days of handwashing dishes are in the past with silicone.
Materials: 100% food grade platinum silicone. BPA, PVC, lead or phthalates free
Washing: Dishwasher safe (top rack only) or hand wash with dish soap and warm water and let air dry. Some scented washing products may leave a residue odor or taste in the silicone grip dish so we recommend using products with little or no scent.
Use: Microwave and freezer safe
Removing Odors from Silicone: We have found a few procedures that have been successful at removing the unwanted odors or tastes and refresh the silicone to stick better in the case of hard water or soap buildup.
1. Try using a rinse agent in your dishwasher to reduce mineral build-up.
2. Submerge the dish in a mixture of boiling hot water and white vinegar using the ratio of 1 cup of vinegar for every two cups of hot water. Soak for 30 minutes and then scrub with a gentle cleaning sponge. White vinegar is used to reduce mineral build-up from hard water and can be used regularly without harming the dish. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
3. Coat the dish with a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda using the ratio of 1 tbsp. of white vinegar to 2 tbsp. of baking soda. Allow the coated dish to sit overnight. Rinse and dry thoroughly.